Re: Eagle and emergency traffic (was Re:Galileointerference on L band)

----- Original Message -----
From: "John B. Stephensen" <kd6ozh@comcast.net>
To: "George Henry" <ka3hsw@earthlink.net>; "amsat bb" <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 5:08 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Eagle and emergency traffic (was Re:
Galileointerference on L band)

> Why would it be available for only short periods? Eagle is a HEO.
>
> 73,
>
> John
> KD6OZH

I said RELATIVELY short periods...  what is the maximum time that the
proposed data transponder will be available to a given ground station, with
favorable squint angles, on any given orbit?  What is the TOTAL, cumulative
access time per day?  From the perspective of an emergency manager or
disaster team captain, it is certain to seem small when 24/7 service is
available from other sources, particularly sources that they have already
invested in.  And since the design team is looking into their crystal ball
at what the state of things will be 5 years down the road at launch, surely
they have seen that the entire internet access landscape is sure to have
undergone a sea change by then?  (Bill Gates sure seems certain of that...)

I repeat:  if the design team has anything from the NGOs to bolster the
claim that they (NGOs) "need it for emergency data communications", then
let's see it.