Re: Galileo interference on L band

Friends,

My job deals with Air Traffic Control systems (I'm not a controller... I
am an engineer for a company that makes all sorts of ATC electronics
systems).  You can be assured that neither the FAA nor Eurocontrol (the
European version of FAA) will require any navigation or landing system
without years of testing. And re-testing.  And more testing after that.
GPS has been under study for at least 10 years... Galileo will receive
the same scrutiny when it is operational.  That means that adoption of
any GPS +/- Galileo system for precision air navigation or landing is a
LONG way off.

Having said this, AMSAT planners should know that any amateur
interference or intrusion into the GPS & Galileo "band" would be
supremely foolish.  All the arguments about how ham radio is great in
emergencies will count for nothing the first time an aircraft crashes
after losing its satellite navigation due to interference.  I have been
a ham for 35+ years and love the hobby dearly, but we must keep in mind
that in the Big Picture, we are not very important.  The FCC and its
European counterparts will yank our 13cm ("L" band) allocation in a
heartbeat if we interfere with GPS/Galileo.

73,
W9IP

--
Michael R. Owen, W9IP