Re: Why do the amsats get more and more complex?

Hi Rick,

I've been critical of the "no L-Band" decision and your recent comments
don't lessen that critique.

Your last posting said "Second, there is fear that over the
lifetime of Eagle that L-band could become unavailable, particularly in
Europe, if the Galileo system is deployed.  Galileo would be a primary
service and Ham transmissions would likely interfere with low cost
commercial receivers."

What concrete evidence is available that substantiates your claim? Perhaps
"real" data could convince me and others that the decision is based on fact
and not a paranoia about what could happen. Everything I've heard to date
from AMSAT is anecdotal, opinionated and based on what you just said - FEAR.

To the contrary, the "fact" is that Galileo's own web site states (which I
have referenced here already) the reality of having to work in an
interference environment (i.e. ground ATC radar's and harmonics from TV
transmitters just to name of few) and has already started a two year study
program to evaluate appropriate design considerations.

I have been unable to find ANY reference to any governmental agency making
plans to eliminate the L-Band Amateur allocation in view of Galileo. Do you
have evidence to the contrary?

Another "fact" is that the P3E team, rather than "abandoning" the
allocation, has an "engineering" approach to mitigate the potential for
interference by selecting a L-Band frequency which puts the signal in a
Galileo signal null (already pointed out by others here).

This debate could be put to rest if you could present us with "facts" and
not the "lets get out of the kitchen 'cause we may not be able to stand the
heat" argument I've seen so far.

Ready to be convinced...

Bill - N6GHz
AMSAT #21049