Re: C Band Downconverter

I think someone mentioned the idea of using the S-band RX converter as
an intermediate IF.  I was playing around with the idea of using an MMDS
converter with a C-band mixer.  If you can move the LO in the MMDS
converter up to 2700 MHz, that gives you a 3130 MHz IF for 5830.  If you
then use the MMDS converter's guts for the second conversion (you may
have to tweak a filter or two to pass the 3130), you will get 430 MHz IF
received.  In other words, you can use the MMDS converter's LO for both
first *and* second IF.

Granted getting those things to oscillate at 2.7 GHz is a ways from
where they were designed.  Still, it might be a fun project....and you
get to do a little algebra.  It may be easier just to get an old PLL
brick, preamp, filter and mixer.  RX or TX converters aren't too hard to
build since you can generally avoid complexities for TR switching.

-Andy K0SM/2