Re: The Mode B tradition, was Re: The Eagle has died.

In a message dated 14/09/2006 15:56:15 GMT Standard Time, broberts@mta.ca
writes:

> 73"  de
>
> i8CVS Domenico

Happily, two of the three birds you  mention above, AO-7 and VO-52, are in
exactly the mode that analog Eagle  users will be using, U/V. As I
understand it, the plan is to have this link  working 24/7. (Yes it will
primarily use a software-driven transponder, but  that will be transparent
to the analog user.) In this regard, I can't see  how the design
team can be accused of unnecessarily innovating.

73,  Bruce
VE9QRP

Hello Bruce / Dom.

I agree, the UV on Eagle will be apparently analog (ue) to the casual  user.

But be aware Bruce that it's not "primarily" a software driven  transponder.

It is in fact TOTALLY software driven.  There is no linear IF, just  DSP in
the core.  Or from another viewpoint  100,000 single point  failures just
waiting to happen.

73

David  G0MRF