Re: FIRST L/S ATTEMPT

----- Original Message -----
From: <w7lrd@comcast.net>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 2:25 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] FIRST L/S ATTEMPT

> Hello
> Bob will be making his first L/S attempt  on AO51 this evening on orbit
>#11568 (not sure I have that correct).  It's the orbit that goes right
>(South to North) up the middle of the country.  I have an IC-1271A running
>10 watts through 50 feet of LMR400 to a 12 turn helix.
>
>S band is a 3 foot primestar/helix feed/3731 d/c.  Looking for contacts
>and/or reception results.  I may need a larger antenna,
>I have a 3 foot, a 4 foot and 12TVRO
>dish that are "waiting" for something.
> This is really a kick!
> 73 Bob W7LRD
> Seattle

 Bob,
 if you are talking about AO-51's reception on S-band, you don't need a
Dish !
I made some tests last days when AO-51 was in V/S mode and
I noticed that, the S-band downlink is "boooooming" !
 Without dish from my backyard, just by using my LHCP Patch-antenna (K3TZ
model)
and my CallAmp 31732 D/C (my old AO-40 gear without Dish), the AO-51 it came
about 9 S +20dB ! ( noise floor = 3 S on my IF receiver TR-9130).
 Using only the Patch the beamwidth is very wide (in contrast with Patch +
dish),
so the SAT-tracking was very easy job for me, manually.

  Good luck on L/S mode !

73, Mak SV1BSX

sv1bsx@yahoo.gr
http://www.qsl.net/sv1bsx

LAN eMail-Server: This Email has been checked by NAV 2006
                                               Virus Free