50 MHz (was S band and Eagle: an appeal for a higherleveldiscussion)

--- Robert Bruninga <bruninga@usna.edu> wrote:
> Lets preserve 2m downlinks for OMNI directional downlinks to
> Mobiles and handhelds where the 19" mobile whip OMNI has
> a 9 dB  advantage over 70cm and a 24 dB advantage over 2.4 GHz.
>
> We can easily close the link to mobiles and handhelds with
> Omni antennas with 2 meter downlinks from space.  I hope we
> Continue to develop this mobile satellite capability.
> PCSAT and ARISS packet system demonstrate this easily.

Bob raises a good point here.

What are peoples views on trying to get an Amateur Satellite Service allocation
at 50-51 MHz ?

Granted omni antennas would be 3 times bigger than 2 metres but we would
benefit from low path loss and low doppler shift ?

73 Trevor M5AKA