Re: L band

Hi John,

I have just re-read the Eaglepedia report of the San Diego meeting.

I must admit I continue to be shaken by Tom Clark's early statement about
his views on the L-Band situation and then with the table called "Band
Usage" which states L-Band usage (for digital) "Discarded due to possible
L-band loss". I realize that this was referring to DIGITAL band allocations
and that later a table called "preliminary power budget" includes 3 watts
for a L-Band ANALOG receiver but I have been concerned that this position
about digital L-Band is based on the unsubstantiated and unproven notion
about the "government(s)" taking us off the air there.

John, I think engineering decisions should be based, as much as possible, on
real facts and data - not a notion about the future.

Now another question. Why can't the L-band analog receiver (if it remains)
be used for digital modulation (i.e. digital backup). Down to an IF
frequency or modulation detection frequency it shouldn't care if the
modulation is analog or digital. Have I  missed something?

Regards and thanks for your patience and time responding to my posts.

Regards...Bill - N6GHz