Re: S band downlink on P3E

>Didn't they just "survey" the membership one year ago? If the surveys aren't
>going to be on topic or considered in the final decision as to band
>preference, why not save the money for more worthwhile ventures?
>
>Roger
>WA1KAT
AMEN, Roger!

And to the dozens that have already answered you, and the hundreds
that will.....

If this sounds like an "I TOLD YOU  SO", it just may be, if the shoe
fits wear it...

When ECHO was first proposed many years ago I opposed it violently,
and was promptly ostracized
by  many of the AMSAT-NA leaders at that time....So be it, my
shoulders are broad...The proponents of ECHO maintained an easy-sat,
with minimal investment, and I was vociferous in my opposition that
they were KILLING interest in ham radio satellites in the US, and
perhaps elsewhere.

I am not a rocket scientist or an engineer, but have operated every
mode I could afford since I was licensed in 1952, and I based my
decisions on the fact that I KNOW ham radio operators...98% of them
WANT  a challenge to pursue, and that they were appealing to about 2% of them.

I got interested in OPERATING amateur satellites.  I had listened to
Oscar 1, when I was still on active duty as Navy pilot...with no
chance to set up transmit capability...

My first contact on Oscar 7 in 1980 required a total investment of
about $90.  I pulled the finals on a SWAN 500, to use as an exciter
for a homebrew converter...an HQ180 for the 10M downlink, homebrew
antennas in both directions.  It wasn't fancy, but it worked, and
I've managed to work every satellite in every mode that has ever been
launched since......

I predicted the end of AMSAT-NA, at that time, and now it looks as
tho it is coming true, UNFORTUNATELY...many of us "old goats" like
myself have long since deserted.

Appeal to the "2 meter mentality" as I call it, and that is what we
are winding up with....

I got on "S" band just like the hundreds of other out there, could
still be done.

If we quit promoting the stupid space station contacts as having
anything to do with ham radio...
that is a bill of goods, also...ESA supports satellite amateur
radio....some in this organization  are promoting NASA, I assume to
feather their own nest.

At the ultimate expense of amateur satellite radio all over the world...

Get off the dime feather merchants...

            73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
                    Disagree: I learn....

               Pulling for P3E...