WD9EWK AO-51 V/S, Sunday 3 Sept.

Hi again!

Another day, another chance (or two) to make more V/S QSOs via
AO-51 before the mode change.  I woke up a little early this morning,
so I decided to combine a quick shopping trip with a trip to a nearby
city park that sits on the DM33/DM43 boundary.  I was on the AO-51
pass around 1550-1600 UTC from the park with my portable V/S
setup, and made 7 QSOs.  The most activity I've heard in the 5 AO-51
passes I've tried since Friday.  I worked W0LMD (CO), KU7Z (UT),
N8BBQ (OH), W2NBJ (MD), KB0JQO (IA), WA4SCA (TN), and AI7W
(OR).

On the next pass, around 1730 UTC, I was back home and worked
W0LMD and KU7Z again - the only ones on there with me.  I was in
the driveway in front of my house, using the car as my base of
operations again.  For much of the pass, I left the 2m Yagi laying
on the car's roof and took the downconverter in one hand to point
and twist it.  AO-51's 145.920 MHz receiver is very sensitive, even
when my Yagi was pointing parallel to the ground and the satellite
was up at 20-30 degrees elevation.

Assuming the mode change happens tonight (early Monday, UTC
time), this will be the last chance to try V/S for a little while.  I made
14 contacts on 5 different passes.  I worked two stations on each
of 3 passes (W0LMD, KU7Z), and those stations were in 10 different
states.  When I grow up :-) I would like to set up a proper satellite
station at home.  Until then, I am happy to be able to set up portable
stations and do this stuff.  Fun stuff, even if it is 95F/35C outside at
the moment.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK - Phoenix, Arizona USA
http://www.wd9ewk.net/