RE: Ofcom Publishes 10 GHz Spectrum Sell-Off Slides

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the heads up concerning the UK's 10 GHz utilization plan and
frequency auction.

I read the proposal and while I am not keen on intrusions into our bands,
the bright spot is that the weak signal area of 10.368 GHz won't be impacted
and they have left 10.45 to 10.475 GHz for our satellite actives. We should
be able to work with 25 MHz of clear space since any practical translator
would use about 100 KHz. (note that we're a "secondary" user of 10 to 10.5
GHz)

What is more of a concern to me, and I hope others, is the statement that
"no amateur satellites occupy the band - 10.45 to 10.5 GHz" using this as
another justification to plant their systems in our allocations. Galileo
launched their first satellite a few months ago with the very purpose of
establishing "band occupation" even though the Galileo system is far off
down the road or possibly may not even happen.

I know that P3E has plans for 10 GHZ (along with 24 and 47 GHz) but I don't
think Eagle planners have considered placing even telemetry beacons in those
bands. Maybe we should to establish our use of the allocations. The phrase
"use 'em or lose 'em" really means something here. What about a close in
CubeSat project placing just CW/telemetry beacons in our satellite bands
above 2.4 GHz?

Regards...Bill - N6GHz