Looking for old satellite with low baud rate convolutional coded downlink

Hello,

    Quite some time ago someone mentioned to me an older
(1970s or 1980s era) non-amateur scientific satellite
in low Earth orbit that was still transmitting (outside
the amateur satellite bands). I think there was also a
story of a lone scientist still interested in the data
and a colleague who has setup a secondary groundstation
perhaps with a turnstile type antenna somewhere near
the South Pole(?) to improve the coverage. I think
it might have been an atmospheric or solar scientific
satellite.

    I think it has a downlink signal that was a low baud
rate convolutionally coded signal, which is why I'm
interested in it.

    I did check Google. Many times. Google wasn't that
helpful -- since I don't know the name of the
satellite!

    Can anyone please tell me the name of this satellite?

Douglas KA2UPW/5