Re: 70 cm QRM (was Re:2.4GHz QRM)

Given the sorts of regulations that apply to operating radio
equipment of any kind aboard commercial airliners, and the
presumption that anything that transmits will pose a safety hazard
even if it's *almost* completely obvious that there's no way it can
pose an actual hazard, I'd be worried about this myself.  It might be
enough to show that even relatively strong FM or SSB signals from
close by aren't enough to swamp the signals from the tire telemetry
chips, by rigorous and empirical testing .. or it might not.  (A
great deal depends on how rugged the manufacturers make the telemetry
receivers and what the effects of the inevitable cost- and corner-
cutting in the design process will be.)

I will say this, I've had about enough of lazy bureaucrats in a
variety of different fields of government regulation, not just this
one, who have no technical knowledge of what they're regulating and
tend to make really stupid and far reaching generalizations about
what should be done about issues like this.  I'm kind of dreading the
bureaucratic "think of the children" response this will probably get
at the FCC, and painfully aware that the pressure to squeeze us out
of virtually every bit of spectrum with any kind of commercial value
will only increase ..

-Bruce, N5VB