Re: 2.4GHz QRM

Trevor wrote:
> [...]

We took this into account in our estimations of the impact of 5.8 GHz
part 15 usage and we made absolutely horrid assumptions about the
numbers of these devices on the ground and we could still "close our
links" on the ground with 5.8 Ghz as our downlinnk for our digital
transponder proposal for Eagle.

In all my reading of WIMAX,  from the WIMAX forum, etc. there are two
big pushes.    There is the UWB stuff going between 10 and 66 GIGAHertz
and there is the Mobile WIMAX stuff which is going to add to the misery
of 2.4 GHz but add 3.4 GHz,  primarily but from my reading in the past
few days,  5.8 GHz is just not going to be that popular for many
reasons. UWB is the current "cat's meow" in their eyes and 802.16
documents everywhere want the Metropolitan Area Networks (HIPERMAN, not
HIPERLAN) to be in the UWB bands listed.  It is possible to read a lot
about WIMAX from Intel and the WIMAX forums.

Our downlink band,  20 MHz in the 5.8 GHz band   does not overlap
802.11a,  only our 5.6 GHz uplink  overlaps this.   It does overlap
HiperLAN and some proposed HiperMAN frequencies but again,  my readings
and crystal ball guys say 5.8 Ghz will be "jumped over" to get to UWB.
Our European friends will have to tell us about Hiperlan but it is my
understanding that it will fall to the wayside with the advent of
WIMAX/HiperMAN.

That said,  Hittite is making 1 watt devices for HiperLAN at 5.8 GHz.  I
can only presume they do not make devices for the fun of it.

As you all can see, the Part 15 world is exploding around us.  We can
figure out ways to try to find a hole we can use or we can jump into a
hole and cover our heads.

> It is no longer reasonable to expect to be able to use the 5.8 GHz allocation
> as an Amateur Satellite downlink.

I disagree but I will check into it more carefully based on further
reading and further input from the telecommunications experts we have in
our engineering team who believe differently from your statement.

> Ideally we need 5650-5670 MHz to be made Space-To-Earth as well as
> Earth-To-Space and initially use a section around 5668 (Terrestrial Weak Signal
> Working in EU) for satellite downlinks.
>
> 73 Trevor M5AKA

73's
Bob
N4HY

--
"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be
made in a very narrow field."  Niels Bohr