Re: Eagle without mode S

Several things.

We will propose that we be as far away from P3E's S band downlink as
possible to minimize interference.  This will be done in concert with
our German partners on P3E.  But please check out the details on the S
band and V band proposed transmitters and systems on P3E.   The S band
does appear to be subsidiary to the V band downlink on P3E for all sorts
of reasons.

We are proposing to have a hugely improved U/V linear transponder over
our previous proposals.  Much bigger antennas on the spacecraft,  more
power on the downlink, lessening the requirement for the large 2 meter
antennas (such as the monster crossed 11 element yagi's) by giving it
more power and more antenna.   It will fly HELAPS and will have a very
high dynamic range even at the cost of some on board power.  We are not
proposing 25 kHz,  we are proposing much wider but the width will be
determined by calculation.   It will be at least 50 kHz but it can be
set by SOFTWARE in the SDX.  The SDX can support at least 100 kHz.  We
need calculate to figure out our link margins but that is completely
settable ON ORBIT.  I love the SDX!

We are planning for enough solar generator capacity to ALWAYS be turned
on for both the linear and digital transponders.   This means we must do
very careful design and testing to make sure one transmitter does not
interfere with the other transponder, receiver, etc.   We are proposing
a solar array geometry that will NEVER have bad sun angles or nasty
seasons.  The minimum power time of year is being designed to support
ALL MODES AT ALL TIMES.     I insisted that I would not be a party to
half measures where we had the most important payload operating only on
experimental Wednesdays so not one person in 100 would make the
investment and such that the development would fail.   We are
concentrating our efforts on building two well designed robust systems
that can operate simultaneously.

People are getting emotional and they don't really  know what it is we
are proposing.  It is the unfortunate result of the early release of
only the peripheral details without the rest of the satellite.  The rest
was to be delivered in the journal and further released at the AMSAT
annual meeting.   Please give us your forbearance until you at least
understand what it is in reality we are proposing because we are years
away from the launch of this spacecraft.  We have to have our crystal
ball out now to make design decisions that we believe will be valid
5-15 years from now (assuming a ten year life time on orbit).

73's
Bob
N4HY

--
"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be
made in a very narrow field."  Niels Bohr