Re: Eagle without mode S

George:

It is painful.  There is no doubt about that.  We struggled terribly.
Let me give you one example.   We had a student in electrical
engineering at the College of New Jersey design an S band amplifier in
hopes it would be used on the spacecraft for a downlink.   He did a
tremendous job under the guidance of Marc Franco, N2UO and Al Katz,
K2UYH.  He entered a contest for "best power added efficiency".  It was
judged by an amplifier "star",  Steve Cripes.   Steve and his committee
gave our student,  Steve Hendricks,  received an honorable mention.
This is because he submitted at 2401 MHz for us and all of the other
participants did their amplifiers at 1.001 GHz in an attempt to win.
His amplifier did extremely well and came very close to a "winner"
slot.   I have to go tell this student that we cannot use the work he
did for us for a year.

When faced with the evidence we have,  it would simply be irresponsible
of us to make another decision.

Phase 3E,  which will go up before us if all goes as planned,  will have
S band downlink as well as V band downlink.  We will get to test the
rise in noise temperature all over the place and make actual measurements.

Best 73's
Bob
N4HY

--
"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be
made in a very narrow field."  Niels Bohr