Re: One question for the BoD candidates....

The following are brand new team members to the engineering team that I
am responsible for recruiting:

Eric Blossom,  K7GNU
Frank Brickle, AB2KT
Phil Covington, N8VB
Paul Drexler, W2PED
Matt Ettus,  N2MJI
Marc Franco, N2UO
Howard Long, G6LVB  (Howard is not new to AMSAT, but I recruited him to
help with our SDX).
Steve Hendricks,  College of New Jersey, EE student
John Stephensen,  KD6OZH
Paul Wade, W1GHZ

I am just naming the ones that come to mind as I type this out.  There
are many others who have joined and are contributing that have been
recruited by others.  We do not lack for new blood in engineering.  We
lack a credible launch opportunity and we are working like mad to get
our ducks in a row.  We have a truly massive fund raising effort in the
planning stages and AMSAT has hired a top notch firm to help us.

Without launches for our satellites,  for HEO,   given AMSAT's vision
statement that it is building and launching HEO birds,   the vision
statement is dead.  We must solve this problem.  We are attempting to
solve it on multiple fronts.  Raise enough money to buy a launch (at
bargain basement prices) and/or convince the correct authorities there
are things we can do for them that will get us a launch if we do them.
All sides of this problem are being worked in AMSAT-DL for P3E and
AMSAT-NA for Eagle and P3E.   We have a complete drawing set of the
launcher interface specifications for P3E and are trying to find an
earlier alternatives to the launches AMSAT-DL has been working so hard on.

I do not think we have been hiding this information under a bushel
basket.  It has been in the ANS and/or journal and/or President's
letters.    You have a terrific slate of BOD candidates to choose from.
It is healthy selection of the people who are working for AMSAT.  At
Dayton our fund raising was way up and we have a great cadre of officers
and volunteers outside of engineering running the other departments of
the organization.   Like all people,  we are busy with regular lives.
Without a new widget that is about to be launched in a minute,  it might
seem like we are in the doldrums, but nothing is further from the
truth.  We have exciting new missions and technologies we are attempting
with AMSAT-DL and for our Eagle spacecraft.   We need a "big satellite
in orbit", fully functional and providing services and much of this kind
of talk will go away.

Bob
N4HY
(Candidate BOD)

--
"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be
made in a very narrow field."  Niels Bohr