Re: super capacitors (fwd)

Hello Pat / Group.

A couple of thoughts from Pats comments:

1) Re super capacitors.  I wonder how these will react to a highly  energetic
charged particle passing through them.  It could result in a  momentary loss
of a small amount of charge, Or the worse case senario is that it  could cause
the equivalent of 'flash over' leading to the destruction of the  capacitor
and the possibility of shorted plates. I suspect some serious  radiation
testing required especially for anything going to HEO

2) Building satellites with as much power as we can, to minimise ground
station requirements.  Great idea for uncrowded bands. I can recall the  huge
signal from AO-40's 2m transmitter in the early days after launch. -  Wow.
However when we are faced with receiving a signal on the  microwave bands, for
example 'the sewer' on 2.4GHz. It's an advantege to have a  large antenna for
receiving, as the beamwidth works to your advantage. Yes, a  receiving system just
using a patch would be nice, but in reality a nice dish  with a narrow
beamwidth will keep the unwanted sewer rats out of your  receiver.

Regards

David   G0MRF