Re: super capacitors

Joe and others:

It sounds like you guys need to join the Eagle power team!

Lou McFadin is leading the power effort.  He and his team have proposed
a highly redundant collection of clusters.

I have already done the calculations for the team that show that a 2700F
supercapacitor (about what you can buy now) has about the same capacity
as an ordinary D cell.   We are also have the same kind of lithium
batteries that are on the Mars rovers and are working so beautifully
(same manufacturer).    Lou's team is designing a very careful charging
system for the Li-Ion cells.  If treated properly, the rovers show they
will live a long life.

In the currently planned orbit,   we will short eclipses and the cells
will not be discharged a lot.   We will also not have really bad
seasons.  Our solar panel plans are to have adequate power for our
transponders at all sun angles and enough to run "paying experiments"
between 1/3 and 1/2 of the year.

As engineers with new technologies at our disposal,  we are now able to
mitigate some of the things which have bitten us before.

Bob
N4HY

--
"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be
made in a very narrow field."  Niels Bohr