Re: super capacitors

All:
The super capacitors are intriguing.  Whether or not they are a solution
is hotly debated by various members of the Eagle team.  Some think
they're the answer, others think that newer battery technologies (like
on the Mars rover) are better, especially with respect to energy density.

So, we may fly none.
Or, we may fly some as an experiment.  (especially if the science helps
us get a launch!)
Or, we may fly many as a major (or complete) part of the energy storage
system.

We are conducting experiments.  When done, I intend to publish the
results.  We will then make a DATA DRIVEN decision, BASED ON SOUND
PEER-REVIEWED SCIENCE.

The power system will be designed to provide the needed power for the RF
and housekeeping payload.

There's a limit to how much we can put on the bird to make the ground
station "easy", even if we had infinite $$.  We still have to build,
test, move, and launch the thing.

Nevertheless, when you see the results (in the next Journal) of the
latest design meeting, you'll see that we are very well aware of the
need to make the ground segment affordable and reasonable.  Those goals
are very high on the REQUIREMENTS list.  All else is being driven by
PEER-REVIEWED DATA AND SCIENCE.

Also, for the first time ever, we are designing a SYSTEM, which includes
the ground as well as the space segment -- with affordability and ease
of use as key requirements.  You will probably spend hundreds on the
ground segment -- just like I did for my first 3 APRS radios from
Kenwood.  You will not spend thousands, is our goal and an important
one.  "If you build it, they WON'T come."  We're well aware of that.

I thank you very much for your interest and support of Eagle.  I DO
consider your probing questions to be supportive of Eagle.

Stay tuned to the Journal and EaglePedia for what is developing with Eagle.

Thanks again and very 73,
Jim
wb4gcs@amsat.org

James A. Sanford, PE