RE: This Weekend in Minneapolis: Central States VHF Society Meeting

--- "Kevin J. Smith" <kevin.j.smith@comcast.net> wrote:
> I understand the desire to stake our claim to mw allocations as much as
> possible but are we not giving up on Mode L uplink and Mode S downlink too
> easily?

The AMSAT Board has clearly had to make some very hard decisions knowing they
will be unpopular among those of us who have invested heavily in equipment for
1260 and 2400. I think however, given the circumstances, they have made the
right decision.

I consider that 2400-2402 may still be just about defendable but in urban areas
2402-2450 is lost.

Ideally we need addition 10 MHz wide Amateur Satellite allocations at 2300-2310
and 1240-1250 MHz and of course 3400-3410 MHz on a world-wide basis. These will
not be easy to achieve!

5830-5850 is effectively lost due to WiMax/WiFi but 5650-5670 may be
sustainable. Although currently only Earth-To-Space I'd hope we could also get
that allocation made Space-To-Earth as well.

73 Trevor M5AKA