RE: This Weekend in Minneapolis: Central States VHF Society Meeting

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:40:02 -0300
    From: Bruce Robertson <broberts@mta.ca>
 Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] This Weekend in Minneapolis: Central States VHF
Society Meeting
      To: "Kevin J. Smith" <kevin.j.smith@comcast.net>

Quoting "Kevin J. Smith" <kevin.j.smith@comcast.net>:

> Another thing bothers me frankly.  I read BOD candidates response to
> the
> question of whether or not they are active on current satellites and
> almost
> to a man they give very understandable reasons why they are not active
> on
> existing satellites.  (Tom I forget how or whether you answered this
> particular question so forgive me if I lump you in this next statement
> mistakenly.) Yet some of these same candidates are designing Eagle to
> operate on bands that until now where never used by the satellite
> service.
> I certainly hope you BODs and rocket scientists put your money where
> your
> mouth is and invest in the radio equipment necessary to communicate
> through
> Eagle along with the rest of us and get on the thing at least once in a
> while.  If you lead the way in actually operating in these new bands
> when
> Eagle is flying then maybe I and others will consider doing the same.

As I understand it, they are asking you, me and all other hams to invest in
this equipment because they believe that in a few years' time S band will
be unusable for a downlink. In which case, our investment is already lost
for the purpose of Eagle and we should be grateful for the analysis that
made us aware of the fact. If the analysis is incorrect, I imagine the
designers would be happy to be proven wrong, given how much more experience
there is with S band in the satellite design community. The ppt file does
address the money issue to some extent, pointing out 9cm costs and such.

In either case, we will be able to use S band equipment in HEO on P3E and
SSETI ESEO, and I assume the dish and pointing equipment for 23cm could be
reused for 9cm.

As to the question of the designers buying the equipment required, I
understand the plan with C-C rider and its replacement is for ground
stations to be developed in tandem with the bird. The designers will be all
the more on board if that's the case. If it's simply a question of who's
spending money to get this thing going, I have to say I believe the
designers are likely spending a few dimes more than you or I.

I think it will all work out and we'll all get a chance to be on the air
when it flies.

73, Bruce
VE9QRP