Re: This Weekend in Minneapolis: Central States VHF Society Meeting

> At 01:01 AM 7/25/2006 -0400, Tom Clark, K3IO wrote:
>>
>>This coming weekend, Bob McGwier (N4HY) and I are presenting a paper on
>>AMSAT's efforts on EAGLE and P3E at the Central States VHF Society
>>meeting in Minneapolis. ...
>>>
>>Our paper contains a number of updates concerning EAGLE ...
>
>>73 de Tom, K3IO (ex W3IWI)
>>----
>
> Tom,
>
> As I understand the conclusions from the CSVHFS presentation, Eagle is
> proposed with:
> Mode UV voice
> Mode UV text
> Mode S1C digital voice & video
> Mode S2 tlm beacon
> no mode L uplink
> no mode S downlink
> nothing stated about bands above C; what happened to mode UX or CX?
>
> Well, I'm not too happy with this result since I have invested in 60w
> mode-L and mode US & LS downlink equipment that will not have any use
> (except the beacon).  Of course glad that mode UV is supported.  I am not
> sure I see how this fits into replicating P3E.
>
> 73's,
> Ed-KL7UW

As a mode S and L user since AO-13 days I too am dissapointed that they
may not be included in Eagle. But I think it is the right decision in
keeping within the limitations determined by the available structure and the
keep it simple principle.
The need is for a high orbit satellite transponder providing near world
coverage that is reliable and is easily worked.

Clare VE3NPC