RE: This Weekend in Minneapolis: Central States VHF Society Meeting

Tom,

I don't mind not having to invest in C-band equipment and I am glad that the
investment I made in L-band uplink and S-band downlink equipment will still
be useful on P3E.  For Eagle you are asking me to consider investing in Mode
S uplink and 9-cm downlink equipment on top of making contributions to
Eagle.  I knew when a Part 15 2.4 Ghz telephone was being used while
listening to AO-40 but it never impeded my ability to hear signals and the
beacon was never affected.

I understand the desire to stake our claim to mw allocations as much as
possible but are we not giving up on Mode L uplink and Mode S downlink too
easily?

Another thing bothers me frankly.  I read BOD candidates response to the
question of whether or not they are active on current satellites and almost
to a man they give very understandable reasons why they are not active on
existing satellites.  (Tom I forget how or whether you answered this
particular question so forgive me if I lump you in this next statement
mistakenly.) Yet some of these same candidates are designing Eagle to
operate on bands that until now where never used by the satellite service.
I certainly hope you BODs and rocket scientists put your money where your
mouth is and invest in the radio equipment necessary to communicate through
Eagle along with the rest of us and get on the thing at least once in a
while.  If you lead the way in actually operating in these new bands when
Eagle is flying then maybe I and others will consider doing the same.

Kevin Smith
AMSAT 24705