Re: This Weekend in Minneapolis: Central States VHF Society Meeting

Ed:

In upcoming journal articles and in Eaglepedia documents showing the
detailed calculations upon which our statements are based,  we believe
that Tom is being very kind indeed when he calls S band a sewer on the
ground.   Furthermore,  as you can see from Tom's recent answers to the
candidate questions,   we have to plan on a satellite that we believe
cannot  be launched until 4+ years from now .   We cannot build a
satellite where we hope, by some miracle, conditions return to those we
had before AO-40 was launched or even those that prevailed at the end of
its life.   Our computations,   which will be checked again,  and
experiments done and supporting documentation will be provided to
support,  show that we CANNOT PROVIDE sufficient ERP at the spacecraft
for your old station to work as an S band weak signal downlink unless we
restrict the usable orbit for S band to a small fraction of the orbit
around apogee.  We fully understand that while S band may be usable by
you as an individual,  but it is irresponsible of us to design a
satellite where a small number of the current satellite users who live
in rural areas can use the mode.  We need to design a spacecraft where
we are attempting to use our crystal ball and current conditions to
forecast the environment we believe the satellite will operate in for at
least a decade.

We are all sorry for the demise of AO-40,  we look forward to P3E which
itself may not be launched until 2008, but the following is a simple
fact:   we are not duplicating P3E.  Eagle is a different mission
entirely from an engineering and user standpoint.   We are not aiming
for a 50+ degree inclined orbit.  We are attempting to provide for
smaller antennas on the ground, provide for ENCOMM where it is legal,
and designing user ground terminals that will work with the spacecraft
when launched.   U/V is to be supported in as big a way as we can derive
power and provide antenna gain.  Again, this is to minimize the required
antenna on the ground.  As bad as 2 meters can be,  we believe it is not
as bad as S band will be.

Tom has not put in L band in this chart.  We do intend on having an L
band receiver (or two) on board.  HOWEVER,    it is almost the unanimous
feelings of the designers that this band is dead and we are simply
watching its death throes.  The Galileo/GNSS constellation has already
begun to eat into the L band allocation in Europe.  A single German TV
repeater operator caused the German telecom administration to act with a
sledge hammer against amateurs using L band.

It is simply irresponsible of us to ignore these issues and we will
not.  What we will do is work very hard indeed on stating our case with
supporting documentation.

Let me say that nothing is as simple as "include a band and mode for a
test".   We will not do engineering that way.   We are going to
calculate and test and provide solid supportable instruments.

WE DO NOT HAVE A SATELLITE DESIGNED FOR EAGLE.  Any pictures you may
have seen are now history because of the cold hard calculations we did
as engineered in a meeting in San Diego in late June.  What Tom and I
are presenting,  what Rick and I presented to the ARRL board,  what you
will see (much more fleshed out) in October is our current best opinion
of what it will take the AMSAT engineering team to deliver on the
mission statement the AMSAT board of directors has adopted.

73's
Bob
N4HY

--
"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be
made in a very narrow field."  Niels Bohr