super capacitors

Congratulations to amsat for finding a possible solution to the limiting
factor of the use of batteries on satellites. I was very pleased to read
in the journal about the tinkering with super-capacitors.

If I may start a discussion. Are they really a practical solution to the
problem of battery life?

My initial impression is that they would not emulate a similar size
battery but I am very encouraged that they are being considered.

Would their use limit the power available to the transmitters appreciably?

If I can present a point to ponder, I believe it would be more cost
effective to incorporate features into the satellite that lessen the
ground station requirements. I would rather donate to a more powerful
satellite than invest hundreds or thousands of dollars in ground station
equipment. If cell phones required beams and preamps, they wouldnt be so

Good luck with the capacitors, I hope they or some other scheme works.
Nice to see good imaginations in the engineers.

thanks, pat n2oeq 32323