super capacitors

Congratulations to amsat for finding a possible solution to the limiting
factor of the use of batteries on satellites. I was very pleased to read
in the journal about the tinkering with super-capacitors.

If I may start a discussion. Are they really a practical solution to the
problem of battery life?

My initial impression is that they would not emulate a similar size
battery but I am very encouraged that they are being considered.

Would their use limit the power available to the transmitters appreciably?

If I can present a point to ponder, I believe it would be more cost
effective to incorporate features into the satellite that lessen the
ground station requirements. I would rather donate to a more powerful
satellite than invest hundreds or thousands of dollars in ground station
equipment. If cell phones required beams and preamps, they wouldnt be so
popular.

Good luck with the capacitors, I hope they or some other scheme works.
Nice to see good imaginations in the engineers.

thanks, pat n2oeq 32323