Re: This Weekend in Minneapolis: Central States VHF Society Meeting

At 01:01 AM 7/25/2006 -0400, Tom Clark, K3IO wrote:

>This coming weekend, Bob McGwier (N4HY) and I are presenting a paper on
>AMSAT's efforts on EAGLE and P3E at the Central States VHF Society
>meeting in Minneapolis. The following words come from Bruce, W9FZ:
>
>The 40th Annual Central States VHF Conference is just days away on July
28th and 29th in Bloomington, MN. It's being held at the Ramada Mall of
the Mall of America. More details can be seen at http://www.csvhfs.org/.

>Our paper contains a number of updates concerning EAGLE which you will
read about in the next Journal. But for an advance view, you can see our
CSVHFS paper, available as a ~3.9 MB PDF file at
http://mysite.verizon.net/~w3iwi/EAGLE_CSVHFS.pdf
>Sorry it's so long -- I hope you have a fast internet feed!
>
>73 de Tom, K3IO (ex W3IWI)
>----

Tom,

As I understand the conclusions from the CSVHFS presentation, Eagle is
proposed with:
Mode UV voice
Mode UV text
Mode S1C digital voice & video
Mode S2 tlm beacon
no mode L uplink
no mode S downlink
nothing stated about bands above C; what happened to mode UX or CX?

Well, I'm not too happy with this result since I have invested in 60w
mode-L and mode US & LS downlink equipment that will not have any use
(except the beacon).  Of course glad that mode UV is supported.  I am not
sure I see how this fits into replicating P3E.

Another issue is that mw satellite sub-bands do not coincide with
terrestrial sub-bands requiring additional equipment (e.g. my 2304, 3456,
5760, and 10368 equipment is not usable for satellite operation).

I would suggest that Mode S (voice downlink) be included as a capablity to
test.  If enough ERP is provided this will overcome terrestrial WiFi
interference.  If not then we will have to surplus our mode-L and mode-S
stuff (ouch!).

I will be on a retirement budget by 2010 so the likelyhood of equiping for
new satellite mw modes is slim.

73's,
Ed - KL7UW