Re: PICPOT Power!

Hello Bill.

Looks like we all missed that satellite although it is detailed on the  IARU
list showing an original launch date of March 2006.

    Supporting Organisation  Politecnico di Torino   Contact Person
dante.delcorso@polito.it.no.spam  Headline Details: A  picosat scheduled for an March
2006 DNEPR launch into a 700km 98 deg  inclination orbit. Intends to take
pictures and communicate on UHF and S  band at 9k6 AX25 using "FSK and GFSK
modulation.The coordinated  frequenices are UHF:437,445 MHz and S Band 2440.00 MHz
 Applications Date:  11/03/2005  Freq coordination completed on 28/12/2005

It's really nice to see those hi res pictures on the site but looking at  the
solar cells its highly unlikely that it could produce anywhere near 1W
output unless it runs a negative power budget and is only switched on over  Italy.
It looks like it has 2 cells per side with none on the axis that holds the
camera and helix. If the cells are similar to the Tecstar ones then it's
possible to roughly estimate the power budget.  The Tecstar cells are
characterised with a load of 337mA and typically produce between 1.6 and 2.54V.  If we
take 2.0 as a working value, then we get 1350mW per side.
If there are 2 sides illuminated then it has 2.7W (ish) of DC input.

For a 'cubesat' it looks really robust!  But I hope they've put enough
Kapton on it. - There is a lot of exposed aluminium remaining which will get  very
hot.

Fingers crossed.  - Time to dust off my 'Arsene'  2450 down  converter.

Regards

David   G0MRF