Re: Re: Open questions for the Board of Directors candidates

The question that has always made me wonder the most about all the "big"
organizations in Ham Radio:

Who ARE all you people that have time off to fly regularly to all these
AMSAT/ARRL/Whatever National meetings, do all this work, and pay for the
trip?  You all independently wealthy or what?  :-)

Hah...

I am VERY happy there are people out there that both have the time and
resources to do these jobs, but it's always been a wonderment to me when
I see engineers who have access to international travel to go work on
birds, enough time off from work to allow them to go, and enough money
to actually do it.

:-)

I have a "normal" engineering/technical support job at a fairly "normal"
U.S. company and can barely keep up with running a repeater club locally!

My two-to-three weeks off a year is probably the highest limiting
factor, and that'll get better over the course of DECADES, but I'm sure
jealous of European and Australian engineers I talk with who have two
MONTHS of time off per year, paid.  Or more.  Must be nice.

That type of time off is so far out of most U.S. engineering job
realities, I just shake my head and say, "Boy, I wish!"  Understandably,
some tech companies might allow an engineer some un-paid time to go work
on something if it were job-related... but I can't believe that's the
majority of folks who work on BoD's, engineering groups, and what-not,
of our largest world-wide or nationwide Amateur Radio organizations.

I don't know of any friends my age (mid 30's) who have similar technical
jobs who would ever have the time, resources, or inclination to "spend"
them on something like AMSAT.  Some of them certainly have the talent
and skills, but no way they'd ever choose to toast one of their two
weeks off a year on it.  (Not saying they wouldn't want to do it if they
had more time/resources, but no way would any of them be able to do it
at our current stage of life.)

There are weeks (like this one) where it's so hard for me to schedule
two to three people to show up to work on a simple FM repeater site with
all the appropriate test gear, replacement parts, and assorted "stuff",
that I'm always amazed AMSAT can even launch anything...

Nice work to those of you doing it - now if I could just figure out HOW
you're doing it... (GRIN).  Keep up the good work!  Glad someone can do it!

I'm guessing a lot of the volunteers will answer with one simple
response: "Self-employed".

Nate WY0X