Re: Re: Open questions for the Board of Directors candidates

Stefan:

Thanks for your questions.

1.    How are you planning to advance AMSAT as a professional
organization in terms of management, membership service and transparency?

The new engineering approach is predicated on open access by members and
the public in general to the process.   As I took office as the VP
Engineering last October,  at the same BOD meeting and Eagle design
review in Pittsburgh,   we formulated an approach to open engineering.
This has not been without cost or dissension in our ranks but the
leadership (engineering and managerial) has been firmly convinced it is
the way to go.   We started doing Eaglepedia and, thanks to Emily, we
have a very nice tool.    We have undergone a painful 9 months of review
and decision making on Eagle.  I was the "johnny come lately" on Eagle
and I did stir the waters quite a bit.  I called the design meeting in
San Diego,  where we made terrific headway in applying science and
engineering to the design of our next spacecraft from a strictly
"services provided" point of view.  In the next journal,  you will see
Eagle project management describe some of the outcome of the San Diego
meeting and in my Engineering Notes,  you will see a brutally honest
assessment of the spacecraft missions currently under design and some
frank admissions.   I do not do engineering in the dark or in a smoke
filled room and I will help run your organization that way as well.

2. How are you planning on keeping members informed about your own
personal accomplishments as BOD member during your term?

That's a good question.   Why don't I guarantee that I will keep a blog
of this (and my other activities).   I already have a blog but it has
been madness in the last few months with Flex Radio, HPSDR,  AMSAT,
GnuRadio, and (oh yeah) work related activities.  The latest entry is a
few months old.  I will update it and post my blog address here.  Count
on me having a corner for this kind of reporting.  Bug me when I get tardy.

3. How are you planning on advancing the knowledge of our organization,
particular our members as it relates to education, training?

We are doing this now with Eaglepedia.   When I went to Germany last
fall,   I received permission from Karl to take a lot of his work and to
make it public and open.  For example,  he has allowed as to how the IPS
of AO-40 (IPS-D) could be publicly released under the GPL.  This was one
example of many.   Here is what I believe and let me say it again with
more emphasis.   I am a smart guy.  Everything in my life says that I
am.  I have constant examples reminding me that I have been given
terrific gifts for which I am grateful.   YET,  I make mistakes.  I can
be blinded by personal preference,  or ignorance.  I don't know
everything.  None of the AMSAT engineers and scientists can make this
claim.   We recently made a really hard decision not to do some snazzy
sounding things.  These decisions were made by an open, peer reviewed
process.  This is a serious lesson learned from past experiences.   The
dissension I mentioned earlier has resulted in a two step approach to
Eaglepedia.  First stage, or early versions of documents are marked "not
public".   As our peer review process goes forward,  or as we publish
the results/details in our journal, we remove this "not public".   Then
all our members can see how we have moved forward, how we got to the
decisions we made, and may question them easily.  Eaglepedia,  less than
one year in existence,  less than one month open to all,  is in its
infancy.   It will undergo transformation in the coming months as the
designs go forward.  It will be my pleasure to guarantee you will see
the engineering thinking and process on Eagle through this medium.

Another candidate has said that we are a divided organization into the
have's and have-not's,  the engineerings and the users.  I do not agree
with this altogether.   All through AO-10, 13, etc. I operated
satellites.  I helped design, build, and operate Microsats.  I operated
Microsat's.  I am a user, past and future.  Our new processes and our
"Eaglepedia" approach to engineering are part and parcel of our
currently held beliefs that while we are engineers and scientists and
might have a few more letters behind our names,  we do not have a
monopoly on good ideas and we are not perfect.  We do not have a
monopoly on dispassionate analysis.   Our engineering will be done in
the open and past engineering work needs to be put into consumable form
and we have permission to do so.  We need some volunteer work done on
this since we have one paid employee!

4. How often have you been using our existing satellites (e.g. AO-51) in
the last year?

One year ago,  I took down all of my satellite antennas.  I put a new
roof on my house.   My daughter graduated from high school and is the
last one.   I am deciding now if I will continue to live in NJ and pay
all of the taxes or if I will escape this by moving across the Delaware
River to Pa.   I do not want to leave Packrats land and I wish to
continue working, for the foreseeable future,  at the job I have held
since 1980.  (Part time through graduate school, and the two years I was
on the faculty at Auburn,  and full time since 1986).    As such,  my
5400 rotator,  my 2m, 70cm, offset fed dish, etc. are all in the
garage.  On the other hand,  I am operating.  I operate contests a lot.
I placed 7-th in the country in a recent ARRL SSB contest, single op at
the QTH of N2NT.   I operate N3NGE during VHF contests in January and I
try to get to K3LR to operate that contest station.  W2GD and I have
operated several Field Days together and our last effort as battery two
transmitter put us in the top ten and we are perennially in the top
ten.  (N4HY is the GOTA call sign so it is W2GD/N4HY).    I am a member
of the Frankford Radio Club and Packrats.    I operate.  I will operate
satellites again after I make my personal decisions which include put
them up here or wait until I move.

5. What do you consider as the greatest asset AMSAT has?

Does this even need answering?   It is the people who give of themselves
selflessly and often without a single word of thanks from the
membership.  I stand in awe of these people.  I get to stand up and be
seen publicly all the time.  That has its plusses and minuses but the
ego stroke is not a minus.  ;-).  These people that almost never get
mentioned publicly are owed our thanks every single day for what they
do.  The people in AMSAT are our greatest asset.

6. What do you consider as our greatest weakness and how will you
address it?

Besides our lack of a long access time spacecraft in orbit, our greatest
weakness at the moment is the horrible change in environment for
launches.   They are the life blood of our missions.  Without them, we
do not have missions.  Our membership and our leadership has decided
they want long access time satellites to be our primary goal.  The lack
of "engineering" or "test launches"  by all sorts of entities
(government and commercial) has forced us to do the most difficult
engineering job you can imagine.  We have to design a "satellite for all
seasons".  We must design Eagle to 1) meet the functional requirements,
provide the services we want and 2) be able to fit on almost any
launcher going to GTO.   This is hugely difficult.  We have never been
faced with this before.  We have always had an identified launch and
built to fit it.   The alternative to our old normal approach is to "buy
a launch" with real dollars.   That will make Eagle a $10,000,000
program (at least).  In fact,  we have a truly serious effort in the
planning to raise serious funding.  We have an approach underway to get
a sponsored launch and that has been folded into our engineering
thinking on the Eagle spacecraft.  We are providing for more power than
our experiments will require to provide power for paying customers.
None of this is decided or firm.  But let me sound off for a moment.   I
dislike hearing that "we are doing nothing".  Because, nothing is _/*not
*/_what we are doing.  We are struggling feverishly against the
exigencies of our current situation.  I have to say that we have not
played this ongoing set of dramas on the public stage.  I agree with
this approach even though I dislike it.  We are in delicate discussions
and we do not wish to scare off potential partners that can help us.
This must be done this way whether our members understand it or not.
That is not an elitist statement.  It is a simple statement of fact.
That is why AMSAT is not a direct democracy.  It is an elective,
director-run corporation.  You entrust your sector of the hobby to these
people.  I suggest that you work hard to figure out which one of these
people running have the ability to help the organization get through
these tough situations.  If it isn't me,  vote for one that can.

One of the brutally honest assessments I make in my column is that
AMSAT-NA needs Phase 3 E as much as AMSAT-DL needs to succeed with their
project.   I want to lead us to a full and complete rapprochement  with
AMSAT-DL, officially.  I want us to commit to P3E as if it were ours.  I
suspect they want us to commit to all of their projects since P3E is a
precursor to their ultimate goal.  We are currently sending and funding
volunteers to work on P3E/P5A projects.  We need to do more.  It will be
one of the things I will push for the hardest if elected.  If you do not
want this for any reason, repudiate my candidacy.   I will work hard not
to repeat any past mistakes in engineering leadership.   I feel I have a
good working relationship with all former VP of Engineering and with
Karl Meinzer, Heike Straube,and Peter Guelzow.   I believe I can pull of
the engineering leadership to do these projects but I will need to have
the organization support this stuff officially.  This is highly placed
in my reasons for running.

73's
Bob
N4HY

--
"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be
made in a very narrow field."  Niels Bohr