Re: an amateur satellite for $295

>>> Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier@comcast.net> 07/21/06 9:33 AM >>>
>Baaaaa.   Did you look at the videos?   They let the "your items"
>float free INSIDE the spacecraft in Genesis I.    It would not do much
>good to have our golf ball inside a Faraday cage...

Ah, yes, that is why my  tongue-in-cheek proposal #1 was accoustic
coupling to the outside.  ANd proposal #2 added an additional
30 dB on the uplink to get through leakage paths into the
bubble from the ground..  I assume their aluminized coating is
not designed for RF tightness, but to provide a good thermal
isolatoin from the space environment.  Hence, 30 dB leakage
paths would not be unreasonable.  Using a KW on the ground
could get in...

ANyway, it was not a serious proposal at all.  But just the
only engineering approach I could think of to get around the
limitations imposed....  but if they are serious about no
"power" then nothing can work....  Bob

--
"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be
made in a very narrow field."  Niels Bohr