The American Camões

Space Project CAMÕES
Developed by AMRAD (Portugal) and AMRASE (Brazil)

The Space Project Camões so far is the first satellite project of AMSAT-CT
after the satellite simulation CinelSat using the balloons, developed since
1997.

The Space Project Camões is developed under the leadership of AMRAD and
AMRASE, is an educational space project to during the next ten years focus in
the CPLP, the community of Portuguese speaking countries.

Space Project Camões is an educational program developed by AMRAD (AMSAT-CT) a
Portuguese NGO for education and development, through the amateur radio and
amateur satellite service in partnership with AMRASE.

The goal of this project is to build and launch a LEO satellite (Low Earth
Orbit) called CAMOESAT-1, working together with students and professors, with
a radio payload inside that will, among other things, transmit a voice message
of peace, talked by childrens in Portuguese language.

In order to empower international friendship between Brazil and Portugal with
all other Portuguese speaking countries like Angola, Cabo Verde, Guine-Bissau,
Moçambique, São Tomé e Principe, Goa and Timor Leste, AMRASE and AMRAD will
invite universities in these fellow countries to participate in Project
Camões, wich is already been started by our engineers and technicians.

Important to remember that Luis Vaz de Camões (picture below) was the most
famous Portuguese epic poet. Born in XVI century, 1524 to 1580 he was the
author of epic "Os Lusiadas" and countless another beautiful writings.

See on: www.amrase.org and or www.amsat.pt ; http://www.amrad.pt/amsatct.php

The American Camões - By Manuel Luciano da Silva, Medical Doctor

Today there are 204 nations or independent states in the world. Of these 204
nations only Greece and Portugal, are the only nations, that possess epic
poems,  describing  their history in verse.

Homer - who was blind -  wrote  in epic verse - that is in group of eight
verses or oitavas - the history of the  Greek people  in the  "Iliad"  and the
"Odyssey".

Camões  - who was also blind in  the right eye - wrote  the Portuguese epic
poem, entitle "Os Lusíadas", which means "The Portuguese" describing  in epic
verse,   four centuries of the Portuguese History.

The Portuguese poem has 8,816 verses and 55 thousand words.

If we compare Camões with other poetic  genius of the world, we verify that
the others did not choose to write about the history of their own country.

Shakespeare wrote 39 theatrical poems , with various dramatic protagonists,
but did not write about the history of England in epic verse.

Milton,  another English  poet, also blind, wrote a poem entitled "Paradise
Lost", concerning  the metaphysics of the eternity, but he did  not write
about the naval  victory over the  Invincible Armada!

Dante, known all over the world by his "Divine Comedy", did not write about
the achievements of the Italian  people.

Napoleon,  does not have an epic poem that  describes the History of France.

The United States of America is the only nation in the world able to send men
to the moon and have them return safely to earth, with the greatest scientific
discoveries in the world, where is the American Camões that is able to sing in
epic verse, the glorious history of the United States of America?

The XV century is called the Portuguese Century because the Portuguese
navigators were able to discover more than two thirds of the world.

The Americans are going to have the same right of calling the XX century - the
American Century.

But I repeat, when are the Americans going to have an American Camões to sing
in verse the great odyssey of the American people and modern science
civilization including the conquests of the outer space?

I am doubly proud of being a Portuguese-American because I am descendent of a
nation which was the champion of  the world discoveries five centuries ago,
and  am also   a citizen of a nation which is the world champion of the
conquest of outer space!