Hamfest and Space Camp demos a great success!

43rd International Hamfest at Peace Garden (North Dakota/Manitoba) and the
Manitoba Space Adventure Camp.

We had a very busy week and past weekend with two big events. I would like
to thank all the stations and operators that made our portable satellite
demonstrations such a big success. With over 160 participants, the
campgrounds at the International Peace Garden facility
(http://www.peacegarden.com <http://www.peacegarden.com/> ) saw a lot of
amateur radio activity during this year's hamfest
(http://www.mts.net/~holderr/ihf.htm). Gerry Baker (VE4GTB) and I worked
stations on AO-51, SO-50, FO-29 and VO-52 with our "portable" FT-847 and
Gulf Alpha antenna setup. Many visitors saw satellite operation in action
for the first time. Our AMSAT table gave us plenty of opportunity to talk
with folks from the U.S. and Canada and we even sold a number of items
including a new membership This week, we participated in the 1st Manitoba
Space Adventure Camp with 29 high school students at the Canadian Forces
School for Aerospace Studies
(http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/17wing/squadron/cfsas_e.asp). This was our
kick-off event for the upcoming Winnipeg CubeSat project. Again, Gerry and I
were able to demonstrate "live" satellite communications and many students
are now very interested in obtaining their license. All of this would not be
possible without the willingness of fellow operators who were talking to us
via satellite and engaging the students and hamfest participants. You folks
make a demo real and "live".

Special thanks to the following stations:

VE6EGN, W7JPI, N2BX, N3PKC, KD4NOQ, AJ9K, N0LD, K3SZH, AK5V, W6GMT, KW9M,
N1ASA, WB3JBD and many others.

73, from Stefan, VE4NSA and Gerry, VE4GTB