RE: AO-51 APRS Satgates

>Is there a good basic resource page/article/book available that explains all
>of this, [digipeating via ECHO] the various ways to operate,
>set up the radio etc.  I am looking for some good basic explanations
>of the purpose, the way it works, the way people can get involved
>and all of it hopefully updated.

Its just normal APRS with the D7 and D700 radios, but simply
tune to the AO-51 frequencies 145.86 uplink and 435.150+/-
10 KHz downlink and change your Packet baud rate to 9600
and your path to VIA PACB-1.

Note, however, that the digital downlink from AO-51 is almost
18 dB weaker to an HT with a whip (you wont hear it) than
PCSAT-1 was.  That is because it is on UHF (- 9dB to a whip)
and it is currently running only .3W instead of PCSAT's 2 Watts.

See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/echoaprs.html

Hope that helps.
Bob, Wb4APR