Re: Callsign for European ISS Astro/Cosmo/Taiko-nauts

Iain,

I considered the various international organisation callsign options too but I
don't think that the ISS is really covered by any of them. My original thought
was that it should have been issued with a fitting prefix / callsign grouping
of its own to represent its unique situation in terms of international
standing and non-geographical location. The alternative, which appartently is
the status quo, is for each ****onaut to represent his/her own nation by
having a country specific callsign allocated for station use. I'm okay with
that. I guess it means you can get more entries in your log if you manage to
contact the entire crew of each expedition.

To add to Kenneth's information, I've included the QRZ.com entry for DP0ISS
below.

73 de

Félim M3HIM
DP0ISS

International Space Station (ISS)

Low Earth Orbit

GERMANY

License: thru Codes:

QSL Via: http://www.rac.ca/ariss/oindex.htm#QSL's

Lookups: 20 Last Mod: 2006-05-15 08:47:59

Web Page: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/reference/radio/

Picture: http://www.qrz.com/hampix/s/s/dp0iss.1147731094.jpg

QRZ: http://www.qrz.com/callsign/DP0ISS

Bio: Size: 1507 Upd: 2006-05-15 08:48:32

October 2000 marked the beginning of amateur radio as a part of the

International Space Station. Operations began with the crew setting up the

first ham radio system in the functional cargo block (FGB) portion of the
ISS.

Several check out passes were conducted during November 2000 and the first

school contact was made by Expedition One astronaut Bill Shepherd on December

21, 2000 with the Burbank school in Burbank, Illinois. Since that time, crew

members have made numerous school, personal and general contacts with people
on

every continent.

The ISS has continued to grow in size and capability and so have the amateur

radio operations. Several space walks were performed to place antennas on the

outside of the Service Module (SM) and additional equipment has been placed

inside. This equipment has increased the options available for ham radio

operators on the ISS and on the Earth. Future plans call for even more

capability and expanded modes of operation.

The current compliment of amateur radios include: Ericsson M-PA VHF radio,

Ericsson M-PA UHF radio, Kenwood D-700E radio

Current modes of operation include: Packet/APRS, Voice

You might hear the packet bursts or the crew talking when the ISS is overhead

by monitoring the standard downlink frequency of 145.80.

For additional information on ham radio on the ISS, follow this link:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/reference/radio/.

For current information on the ISS, follow this link:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/.