From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.ORG [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.ORG] On Behalf Of Felim Doyle M3HIM
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 10:09 AM
To: AmSat BB
Subject: [amsat-bb] Callsign for European ISS Astro/Cosmo/Taiko-nauts

Here's one for the ARISS experts.

When Thomas Reiter DF4TR operates from the ISS will he (and future ESA
****onauts) have a special ESA station callsign? Or, will he have to use the NA and RS callsigns that are currently in use? Certainly once the ESA Columbus module is in situ, there should surely be a seperate callsign. Having said that, perhaps it would have been better if the International Space Station had been issued with a unique international prefix and set of callsigns from day one in the true spirit of international co-operation and especially as geographical/political boundary callsigns make no sense up there.

ESA and EU are prefixes allocated to Spain and Belarus respectively so what else might be appropriate?

Maybe I 'missed a meeting' and this has already been published but I couldn't find anything by searching around.

Félim M3HIM