Re: Icom 706MKIIG for sat work?

At 06:16 AM 7/6/2006, you wrote:
>Something else you could always consider would be to use a regular scanner
>for the downlink to hear yourself. I use an HT with arrow also. The uplink
>is done through a Yaesu FT-50R and the downlink comes through an old 20
>channel scanner. It works great.

Good idea, but a couple of potential caveats:

1.  Many scanners are deaf, so a preamp may be needed.

2.  Some scanners have poor out of band rejection and strong signal
(intermod, etc) performance.  Thos could cause problems for users in
large cities, and a preamp will make these issues worse.

Provided the above aren't an issue, a scanner will work well. :)

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com