Member's Only AMSAT.ORG - Update

It's probably a good idea to update the membership on why a member's
only sub-site of AMSAT.org is not in place. I am not going to
apologize for this - but things have been proceeding.  It's actually
part of my presentation at the Symposium, so I won't go into too much
detail.  So if you are attending the Symposium or purchase the
Proceedings afterwards you will learn more about what is coming.

A big reason for the delay isn't laziness or lack of effort - it
begins with the reality that there were other priorities.  These
priorities included building the AMSAT Store, building systems for
tracking volunteer in-kind hours, giving field operations an area
coordinators space, writing other software tools such as the pass
prediction and tracking model, building and populating the Satellite
Database, giving presentations, supporting AMSAT at two Dayton
Hamventions, organizing this year's Space Symposium and as you all
know I designed and deployed EaglePedia in this time frame.  FYI -
making EaglePedia "member's only" was part of the discussion, but
that brought us back to why there isn't a member's only sub-site in
the first place.  And EaglePedia couldn't wait.

The biggest reason was that there was no way to validate members.

Although I wrote quite a bit of the code to support a members-only
website two years ago just after the website makeover was launched,
when it got to the point to interface it to the AMSAT membership
system to validate memberships there was no way it could happen.  The
current membership database is a DOS application that could not
connect to the primary site.

So in addition to all of the other tasks I've been doing, I have also
been quietly working behind the scenes to resolve the validation
problem.  On and off for the past 16 months I have been designing,
coding, testing, migrating data and deploying a new AMSAT volunteer
and donor management system called AIMS (AMSAT Information Management
System.)  AIMS is in beta test and I am going to DC in August to
finish up interfacing AIMS to the office printers, migrating the last
of the data and training the staff.  In addition to an extensible
member support system AIMS will be able to validate memberships so
that the store can appropriately apply discounts (Martha currently
has to do this manually) and the member's only feature can validate a
member who logs on.

When AIMS goes online we still can't completely support a member's
only sub-site. In addition to content issues (again - we need
volunteers) there is an initial startup security issue we will have
resolve.  We can't just let members sign up because too many people
publish their AMSAT membership numbers and other personal data is
available in other public systems like QRZ.  The alternative is to
mail out a temporary password (like Log of the World did.)  Most
likely the LOTW approach will be used - I'll have to write code so
that members can signup online, and AIMS will send a temporary
password via snail mail to the member's mailing address of
record.  That way someone can't "hijack" someone else's account.

Just a final note - the member's only section will not be called Area
51.  It will be called "My AMSAT" and will be rolled in as part of a
redesign of the website.  You can see a screenshot of what I've been
working on here (shown partially localized into Afrikaans by Hans
Groenendaal.):
http://www.planetemily.com/amsat2007.gif

It is still in the early stages, but in addition to member's only
content (again, if someone produces it) you will be able to customize
the user interface, customize the navigation language to something
other than English, and keep other preferences including custom
satellite pass alerts. There are many other features we could add
however I'm sure these will be a source of discussion at the next
Board meeting.  Part of that discussion will likely include moving
some existing website features over to the member's only section.

But the biggest issue will always be content, and as Ken pointed out
in his post, we need volunteers.  So volunteer!

73,

Emily