Re: preamp questions

The older ARRL Handbooks (80's and earlyh 90's, anyway) had a sequencer circuit in them, as does The Satellite Experimenter's Handbook, available from AMSAT (and thru many local libraries here in the US, thanks to the Interlibrary Loan program)  The circuit board for the ARRL version is available from FAR Circuits.  I believe that ARR also sells a sequencer.

George, KA3HSW