Re: no luck w/ voice contacts

Eli Criffield wrote:
> I'm not sure if my antenna is no good or if I'm just expecting this to
> be easier then it is. I've tried about 10 different passes of AO-51
> and a few ISS  passes on field day with my homemade dual band yagi
> (arrow like, 3 elements on 2meter 7 elements on 70 cm).  I use two
> handhelds so i have full duplex, a yaesu vx-5r and a vx-7r.
<major snip>
For the real short answer, satellite work is VERY WEAK SIGNAL!  It's NOT
like working your local repeater - unless your local repeater transmits
1/2 watt from 2000 miles away.

You said that you get full duplex using 2 handhelds.  Being full duplex
helps a huge amount because you can hear yourself and tell if you are
getting into the satellite.  This may sound like a dumb question, but
are you REALLY getting full duplex?  By that I mean, could your RX
handheld be getting desensed by the TX handheld?  In order to easily
tell, can you still hear other traffic on the satellite while you are
transmitting?  Handhelds generally have pretty lousy receivers, and they
desense easily.  If you are not hearing other traffic on the satellite
while you are transmitting, you are not really getting full duplex.
That could fool you into thinking that you are not getting into it.

The other thing to remember is that the FM satellites are generally
EXTREMELY busy!  Unless you are fortunate to live right along one of the
coasts and get passes that pass well into the ocean so that only a tiny
portion of the satellite footprint is over land, you may simply be
getting stomped on.  If you DO live along one of the coasts (I do in the
Los Angeles area), those are great passes for testing because you may
actually get a couple minutes to test without being bothered by ANYONE
else.  Back when UO-14 was operational, we would periodically get a late
evening northbound pass that was way off the Pacific coast and the
footprint would just barely catch the west coast.  There were a few of
us that could actually hold a 3 to 5 minute roundtable with no one else
in the footprint.  Later in the pass, the footprint moved well inland
and the bird would get crowded (as it normally was), but those first
couple minutes were great!

--
73