Rotor problems on Field Day

Had a problem with the 5400B rotors on Field Day...  they'd be merrily tracking a satellite, then suddenly the azimuth rotor would go zipping off in an entirely different direction.  The FOD-Track server for SatPC32 would be showing the correct az/el values, so I am assuming that this is a position pot problem?  Since Yaesu/Vertex wants about $200 to completely overhaul them, I am hoping to do it myself...

How big a deal is this going to be?  My wife already thinks I have too many projects going.......

George, KA3HSW