Re: LMR-400 vs 9913F?

Alan P. Biddle wrote:
> Dave,
>
> It is supposed to work with standard RG-8U connectors.  Any tricky stuff?  I
> see that sell some moderately pricey "prep tools."
>
> According to the spec sheet, it can be bent with a radius of about 7".  Does
> that match your experience?  I don't have any sharp bends, but it does need
> to enter the house through some existing paths.
>
> Alan
> WA4SCA

It's stiff but somewhat flexible, and I have seen tighter radiuses bent
in it than 7" but it's probably not real good for it, unless it's tied
down to stay still.

A couple manufacturers make VERY good crimp-on connectors of all types.
  (Yeah, some people hate crimp-on connectors, but I've had very good
luck with GOOD quality ones using the right (expensive) crimp tool and
dies.)  Just have to make sure your weatherproofing technique is very
good and continues above and below the end of the cable, especially with
crimp-on connectors.  My entire Rover station for the June VHF contest
was runs of LMR-400 up the mast from the vehicle, including the folded
over piece that had to be the same length as the other one for the split
6m square loops made by W0KVA.

LMR is known to be "noisy" in duplex (repeater) service due to the
dissimilar metals its built with, as the outer foil and jacket rub
around, but for non-duplexed service, it does very well and sometimes
has nicer loss numbers than higher priced cables.

They also make LMR-600, and others, made for higher frequencies, etc.
And recently I read about them producing a more flexible version of
LMR-400 at a higher price, same performance, more flex.  Haven't yet
seen it "in the field" yet, though.

Nate WY0X