Re: CAT and the TS-2000 and FT-847

I'm not sure if this is relevant or related to your problems.

Firstly, Jim, I'm guessing that your laptop port replicator connects via USB
rather than the traditional dedicated wide bus on older notebooks.

As a matter of interest, are you all using USB 2.x or 1.x ports and hubs?

Basically, in my configuration, using a built-in USB 1.1 controller and
external Belkin USB 1.1 hub, certain devices, in particular a Belkin
BlueTooth device, seem to cause a lot of traffic on the USB even when
apparently not transferring volume data. This results in the performance of
other devices being severely degraded and, in the case of a USB mouse,
causes excessive latency in mouse movements and click operations. I shudder
to think what the effect might be on a USB keyboard. Note that this happens
even if the BlueTooth and mouse devices are connected to seperate hubs,
indicating a bottleneck at the on-board controller of the motherboard or
possibly even in the Windows driver software. Unfortunately, I have not yet
performed extensive tests under Linux but my initial impression is that the
effect is much reduced or not at all evident in this environement suggesting
a problem at driver or OS level rather than hardware under Windows. I quite
often have four or more USB webcams attached to the same bus with little or
no obvoius side-effects which may further support the theory that certain
drivers are more prone to this than others.

So, perhaps you could try removing any and all other devices from the USB
and see if the CAT latency problems improves significantly. If so, try
plugging in each USB device in turn until the problem returns.

73 de

Félim M3HIM