Re: QSL Card Scanning Solution

Eric,

My personal opinion is that the Logitech PageScan Color series of scanners
are the best thing since the burger bun (which in turn is better than sliced
bread). They have a number of scanning modes:-

 o Sheet fed from a hopper for scanning up to 10 sheets

 o Manually fed flat from the front or rear (it figures it out) -
      ideal for odd shaped/sized items and thick card (e.g. QSLs)

 o Detach the motorised scan head and use like a hand scanner -
      ideal for scanning bound books, magazines, album covers etc.
      being motorised avoids stretching/compressing of hand-held units
      wide enough to scan A4/US Letter/Legal etc. stationery in one pass

These scanners are much much faster than any flatbed scanners I've used,
although flatbed technology may have improved in the past couple of years.
The accompanying software has a number of facilities for scanning,
photo-copying, faxing etc. similar to modern multi-function
printer/scanner devices.

The majority of PageScan units are parallel port devices but can be
daisy-chained with a printer to save a port. However, they use proprietary
signalling on the parallel port which requires the driver software to have
direct control of the port hardware. This is something that NT based Windows
flavours do not generally allow and so the parallel versions are not
supported under NT, 2000, XP, 2003 etc. Early units work with Windows 3.1
and later. The Pro variant and its descendants are designed for Windows 95
and up. Apparently there is a model for Apple Mac (one was sold on
eBay in March for $1.25 + $12.5 shipping) but I don't know which Mac-OS
versions it works with. Later models use USB but I have seen conflicting
comments on whether or not they work with XP etc.

I don't know what the official position from Logitech is but my best guess
is that they got out of the scanner business because of the influx of cheap,
albeit inferior, flatbed devices.

I love my Logitech PageScan Color Pro (parallel port) and I wanted to be
able to use it under later versions of Windows and also under Linux. So,
some years ago, I contacted Logitech support to see if they would release
the driver source code, given that the hardware was now discontinued, but
they didn't understand what I was trying to achieve. They gave me an 800
number (not toll free from the UK) to call some techies but I shelved the
issue as I was too busy workwise at the time and never got around to
following it up.

If you are interested and have time to do some research on the net regarding
OS support, you could pick one up at a bargain price. If so, I'd be obliged
if you'd pass on your findings to me. However, it might not be appropriate
to reply to the AmSat BB unless others are interested in this hardware too.

Let's see what the response is.

73 de

Felim M3HIM