          From: Robert Goodman [mailto:robert@aa5fr.com]
          Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:48 AM
          To: Bill Ress
          Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] The AA5FR El Cheapo AZ-EL Rotor System
          for AMSAT Birds
          Hi Bill,
          In answer to your questions:
          Backlash is less than an inch.
          I can stop it with a finger...so not a lot of torque at all.
          However, there is also virtually zero wind load with the Arrow
          II....even in strong winds, it doesn't rotate by itself.
          However, the weight of the LMR-195 can shift the balance point,
          elevation-wise....and it is critical, for the same reason, to
          find the balance point before strapping it down.
          Without taking it apart, I am not sure but I would bet you could
          dissect it without destroying anything so you could get to the
          innards.
          Again, this rotor/tower system is not for everyone....but I
          would bet this "el Cheapo" approach could generate a LOT of new
          user interest in AMSAT and increased activity on the
          birds...especially those hesitant to spend over $1,000 just for
          a rotor and a couple of yagis!
          Hopefully, someone smarter than me can do some X-10 programming
          to interface the tracking software to the rotor.
          Was going to post this to the BB, but didn't want to do so
          without your permission.
          73,
          Robert     AA5FR
          www.AA5FR.com