Re: Doppler Tuning

I wrote about getting InstantTrack to display "NET Doppler shift" by
just entering the frequency difference as the "beacon frequency".
John AA1YE called me on an important detail I had glossed over:

>	You can do this for the downlink repeat of YOUR signal but not for the
>other station's signal. Unless he is located next door to you, his Doppler
>will not be the same as yours.

That's exactly right.

The "net Doppler" I was talking about is only useful for locating
your own signal. With the aid of this kind of display, you can put
your transmitter on the right frequency to answer a CQ or join a QSO
or call on a clear frequency, without sweeping through the
transponder. This kind of one-time coarse adjustment is about the
most you can hope to do manually, based on a number displayed on
InstantTrack's screen.

Predicting the other station's downlink frequency isn't so easy. You
need to know his location and his transmitter frequency. Usually, you
don't know either one, at least at the beginning of the QSO. There
wouldn't be much practical use for a hybrid "net Doppler" calculation
that combines the other station's uplink Doppler with your own
station's downlink Doppler, even though that's what happens when
you're listening to another station through a linear transponder.

If you're going to get fancy and go beyond a coarse manual
correction, you'll probably want to go to full computer control,
which should be designed to keep a constant frequency at the
satellite. This technique doesn't require any knowledge about the
other station, as long as he's doing it too. Of course,
InstantTrack+InstantTune supports this.

I can't let this conversation end without plugging my old (1994)
writeup on The One True Rule for Doppler Tuning. See
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/features/one_true_rule.html if you haven't
already read it.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org