Re: InstantTrack (was Doppler)

At 1:18 PM -0300 6/18/06, Bruce Robertson wrote:
>other using a USB/serial interface. The latter appears as port 4 and works
>fine with HRD and SatPC32. However, I can't get IT to control it. I've
>tried specifying the IO and IRQ for the USB port in IT's config file. Is
>there a diagnostic mode which will let me debug this further?

There's no such diagnostic mode built into InstantTrack or
InstantTune. InstantTune's author has included the source code, so
you could theoretically add whatever diagnostics you need.

For radio control, you're using InstantTune, so be sure you're
adjusting InstantTune's configuration file ITUNE.CFG and not
InstantTrack's IT.INI. The serial settings in IT.INI are only for the
feature that lets you set the PC's clock by modem.

In using a USB serial port with a DOS program, you're relying on the
cooperation of Windows and the USB serial port driver to provide a
simulated virtual COM port to the DOS environment. I would start by
checking that this is working. Dig up or download an old DOS terminal
emulator program, such as the shareware Telix (still available at
www.telix.com), and see if you can get it to work with the USB serial
port. If Telix doesn't work with the port, chances are that
InstantTune won't either. That wouldn't be a big surprise;
compatibility with DOS programs is probably not a high priority for
vendors of USB serial ports.

If you do get Telix to work, the same settings ought to work with
InstantTune. If not, then the next step would be to determine whether
it's a problem accessing the serial port or a problem communicating
properly with the radio. In other words, you need to find out what's
actually happening on the wire. One of those RS-232 breakout boxes
with LEDs would be enough to see whether anything at all is happening.

If you see activity on the wire, then you need to find out what's
being sent. For problems like this, I have found it very useful to
construct a three-headed "wiretap" serial cable. Wire connector A to
connector B, all lines straight through. Wire up just the data line
(RxD or TxD) to the RxD of connector C, plus the ground of course.
Then hook up C to a terminal emulator to see what's happening between
A and B. You can make this tool more flexible by adding a switch
(RxD/TxD) or a fourth connector (wired to the other of RxD and TxD)
to enable you to monitor both directions.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org