UM Satellite

Hi all,

Thanks for all the information sent my way with regards to the TSATT
project. The IARU site has been a great resource over the past few days.
However, we've been doing a trade study about what types of antennas to use
and haven't been able to progress very far. We're looking at using either
Patch Antennas or Slot Antennas, and so far the differences we could
identify are as follows:

Patch:
Circular Polarization
Smaller size
Lower power consumption

Slot:
Linear Polarization
Larger beam angle

We've been looking into using either two patch antennas for each end of the
satellite, or have an array of slot antennas to provide more continuous
coverage. Personally, I'm not too clear on the different advantages in terms
of Circular versus Linear polarization on the power consumption, especially
with regards to the distances we're dealing with (the satellite will be
about 550km above Earth), only that circular polarization affords a lower
loss? Thanks once again for any insight provided.

73s,
Paul KD8DPV