Re: Yaesu 736R satellite rig, Best

Wf1f Miles
In my opinion, the FT-736 is the best satellite rig
that I have ever used.  It may be a bit dated and the
receivers a bit weak, but I have not found a better
rig (have not tried the TS-2000). I use it for
A0-10,13, RS sats, ISS and terrestial DX.  I even
worked SSB Boston Ma, to Keywest FLA on 2-meters once.

I have the Icom-910H (with full options) and the Yaesu
FT-736R.  After 6 months I put the 910 back in the
box.  I have been using FT-736 since 1993 (on my third
due to lightning strikes not radio problems) I have
one configured for 6, 2,440 and 1.2g.

On 2-meter FM, it shines above the rest because is has
a built in triple conversion RX and normal and wide FM
filters.  I use to take this radio to Schools in the
city to run school schedules with the Space Station
Mir.  The FM filter did a great job of blocking most
intermod that other radios just could not handle.  As
the Mir Sysop, I left this radio running 24/7 for
years.  The Mir crew would remotely log into my packet
station and leave mail, etc.

For FM Mono band Satellites, such as ISS you can
program in a range of memory channels with the Doppler
offset.  I have 3 channels for ISS voice and 3 for
packet.  That way I can just click a channel when its
time to tweak for Doppler. See www.marexmg.org for
tips on programming ISS channels to compensate for
Doppler.

The built in FM signal center meter, tells you when
its time to adjust for Doppler.  Just keep the needle
centered.  The Icom 910 will flash a light at you when
your RX is off frequency, but it does not tell you
which way to turn.

The 736 does not store split band in regular channels,
it has 10 dedicated satellite split band channels for
that features.

SSB Birds.
Great, the dual VFO and tracking switch is very easy
to use, especially if you try a 910.
When using SSB VFO 2/440 birds itís very easy to track
AND compensate for the changing Doppler.  The 736 uses
a very logical simple rotating switch.  The simple
switch makes it very very easy to tweak the RX VFO or
the TX VFO and then LOCK them together to track the
band.  The single frequency display is not a
noticeable limitation.

I hope that if some company builds a new satellite
Rig, they will copy the FT-736 Satellite mode switch,
since Yeasu got it right the first time.

http://mail.yahoo.com