Re: Yaesu 736R satellite rig

Tom Wuellner wrote:
> Hi,
> Can anyone please give me recommendations on the Yaesu
> 736R satellite rig? I want to know what people think
> about this rig? Is it dual VFO? Is it capable of doing
> odd splits?

Sorry can't tell you much about the Satellite capabilities of the rig,
but...
>  I know someone who has a 736R. He says it is all in
> pieces and if I were to put it all together then he
> would let me try it out. Then if I was interested, I
> could buy it from him, perhaps at a descent price. He
> has the modules for 6 meter, 220 and 1.2 gig as well
> the std config of 2 mtr and 440.
> How is this for a first Sat Rig?

They're highly regarded by weak-signal VHF contesters and operators.
They produce a reasonable but low-enough power and have all the right
connections for interfacing them to high power amps for each band.
(STBY jack has keying outputs for each band/module for external
amps/pre-amps, etc.)  The 220 module alone is worth quite a bit of
money, since there aren't too many 220 all-mode rigs out there.  1.2 GHz
is also desirable.   6m?  Nah... there's better 6m rigs out there.

The entire package is worth quite a bit if the radio is in good working
condition.  It sounds like you have one more module there than you have
locations to hold them, if I remember correctly.

Hearing that it's in "pieces" is a bit worrisome, because of their
modular nature, this could mean a number of things, but if the modules
just need to be installed - no problem.  If it's in real "pieces" it
likely had or has a problem.

I've worked with two of these radios (not mine) and one is a sweet
little dream machine and the other is a persnickety pain in the
you-know-where.  The painful one is doing some odd things like ACG going
to maximum on all bands except 1.2 GHz at times, etc.  Some days it's
happy, some not.  It's visited at least one commercial repair shop and
still acts up a bit.  It has problems.  The other rig has been a
rock-solid performer for many years of VHF+ contesting.

They have built-in AC switching power supplies that as they age can need
some TLC and have been reported to be noisy at times, but it's easy to
drive the rig from DC power.

I'd put the 736R in the category of "really good" especially if you need
lots of bands in a single package.  Easier and sometimes cheaper to get
into multiple bands than buying an adequate IF rig and transverters, and
nicer to operate.  Especially good for weak-signal work when external
amplifiers are added.

But they are getting old, and they're not quite made of the "stuff" that
some of the classic old boat-anchors of the previous decades before,
were made of - they need a good home and a little TLC once in a while to
keep them happy.

Someone else will have to talk about the satellite capabilities that are
built in, I've never used them on the two rigs I've borrowed.  Sorry.

Nate WY0X